Volumio Rivo first impressions

Hey Guys,

I’m a rivo owner since the first minute and still like the sound of it very much.

Last week I invested in a new DAC (T+A DAC 200) and I encountered a strange behavior, I played a bit around with DSD Files and Upsampling:

• Everything works fine when I play DSD Direct or DoP from my Windows PC (without rivo in the chain), the upsamping works fine and also playing various DSD Files (some I downloaded in the web, some are converted by myself from FLAC). So the DAC doesn’t seem to be the problem

• When I try to use Volumio and Rivo for that, the things change: Playing DSD 64 Files with DSD Direct results in the DAC playing PCM, playing via DoP seems to work (Display shows DoP64), but the DAC stays in mute, which seems to be a hint for a failure. Both with USB and AES: no music can be played in DSD with rivo.

• And now the strangest thing: When I connect a Standard-Pi4 with Volumio on it via USB to the DAC, everything works fine as expected. DSD Direct (DSD64 and more) and also the same with DoP, the music is played in DSD without any flaw.

So what’s wrong with the Rivo? Is it a known problem?

Volumio/Rivo: 3.449
Volumio/Pi: 3.449

Thanks for any advice
Oliver

Hi Oliver,
thanks for your private message, our tech team already located the issue (which is a combination of your DAC and Rivo) and we are planning an update to fix your issue before the end of the month.

Should you need any more help, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our support

Hi Michaelangelo,

thanks, that is very good to hear - I’m looking forward to install the update. Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Oliver

Hi all,

Considering the Rivo soon when I move to a dedicated DAC. I’ve been running the original Primo for a few years and invested in an Sbooster LPS, which did make a difference, but of course the Primo includes the DAC.

The Rivo is up against the StackAudio Link 2 - which comes with an LPS at around the same price or a little more than Rivo.

Question: Has anyone used an external LPS upgrade with the Rivo? Is it worth it? any audible differences?

(for anyone thinking of saying stack link has no player / UI, I use Roon for library and FLAC files only).

@Mike_Lowndes
I am not sure whether the Link 2 is still available. I had emailed Theo Stack some time back and he said certain parts had become unavailable. Best to check with him directly
theo@stackaudio.co.uk

And yes, I am using an external LPS with my Rivo. I find the Rivo benefits from a better PSU.

1 Like

I am seeing the following issue also on my Rivo

There’s reaally nothing out there that competes at this price level.

2 Likes

I haven’t found an answer to a question that is interesting for us Primo 1 users. I use my Primo 1 with Sbooster via SPDIF at a Lyngdorf 1120 as a digital source. Have any of you heard the Rivo with the Primo as a pure streamer comparison?

As a pure digital streamer, Rivo is far superior compared to Primo. Both with spdif and usb out.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

I saw in an article that there is a newer version of Rivo out there, without external antennas. Are there any other changes to the hardware in this new revision?

Cheers, Oliver

Maybe you confuse the Rivo for the Primo? The Rivo is a new product with external antennas, but the Primo V1 with external (wifi) antenna has been updated to the current (new) V2 version where the antennas are built in.

I don’t think I am wrong
http://www.mactechnews.de/news/article/Test-Volumio-RIVO-Streaming-Bridge-Musiksuche-mit-Kuenstlicher-Intelligenz-183016.html

@Darmur Maybe you can clarify if there is a revision 2 already of the Rivo?

I guess we have to wait for an official answer, I can see on page 2 on the link that they refer to it having built-in antennas and also shows pictures where there is no external antennas - that does not match the current model.

the first three production batches of Rivo were manufactured with external antennas, all the newer batches are manufactured with internal antennas. the difference is only aesthetic, performance-wise they are on par.

Ok, the online manual and the product page pictures does not reflect that change to confuse us.

the updated user-manual with the changes related to the internal antennas is included in the box together with the products.

again, it is only an aesthetic improvement, it is the very same product at the end

Yes, but for me/us as a prospective customer the information on the website should also be up-to-date.

How do I record and transmit system errors? The fact is that the volumio application does not respond to gestures for 10 seconds when the screen on the tablet goes into sleep mode and exits it, for example, when I want to switch a track. Also in the favorites folder, clicking on the first track or any other, completely different tracks are included.I play dsd files with a stutter, if I pause the track and after 5 seconds resumes playing the track, then it does not stutter.

Hey,

This is great explanation. Thanks a lot.

I bought the Primo some months ago. Now I added an external DAC and with what I have learned today I might be better of with the Rivo. I mainly stream from Tidal.
Anyone made similar experience and upgraded from the Primo to the Rivo and can share?

Thanks
Chris