Volumio and DSD

with USB DAC shows well DSD format and type (2.8 , 5.6 , 11.2)

1 Like

That’s what the file says it is, it is then resampled to 192Khz.

1 Like

I understand, thanks

1 Like

if and when do you plan to transfer DSD via DLNA? and what about the CEC?

1 Like

Where does it say that Volumio on x86 has full HDMI CEC support?
I’m not even sure, whether CEC has been activated in our x86_amd64 kernel.

Edit: it has been activated.

2 Likes

CEC Volume Control via HDMI - Help and Support / Help - Volumio

error - error - I’ll look for it right now

I have not seen anything being announced in the changelog. You may have to ask the Core Team, I can’t answer that.

this was talking about rpi, but does the versions and functionality vary by platform?

No, they are identical

1 Like

so the current version is from December 2022 - after the date from the post about half a year later released, so this is probably the next version that was supposed to have CEC - that’s how I understand it

correct, “probably” but not guaranteed. I guess there were more important things to solve and it was not CEC’s turn yet.
People should enter things like that as a Feature Request, then it is on a list.

It may be clear from other replies, but just to re-state it, Volumio sends DSD to Linux, so as far as Volumio is concerned, it is sending DSD. If Linux is configured to play DSD on your specific DAC, then the DAC gets DSD. If not, Linux translates the DSD to PCM. My DACs, for example, can only use “native” DSD (a bit-stream) from the Windows ASIO driver. Since Linux kernels generally don’t support a usable ASIO driver, I have to use DoP (DSD over PCM), which is recognized as DSD by my DACs. So you have to also look at how you DAC is capable of accepting DSD: a bit-stream or DoP, and via which Linux drivers,

It is not “Linux” that converts DSD to PCM, that is done my the MPD daemon.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about DSD and linux support.
Each DAC capable of DSD must be registered in the usb audio driver. It is the audio driver, which will tell the requesting component at runtime, whether the DAC is capable of playing DSD direct or not.
Whether a DAC is supported or not, depends on the platform you run Volumio on. With the PI and Tinkerboard, Volumio relies on the kernels delivered by Raspberry and Asus.
For x86 we have a little more flexibility as we compile the kernel ourselves and can add a DAC when its vendor and product id is supplied.
You can read the id’s when the DAC is connected by logging in via SSH and doing an

lsusb

(or by supplying a log).

Yes, I know that it’s complicated “under the covers” where you work. But for a user, the GUI is Volumio, i.e. if the GUI doesn’t know any different, it says that it is sending DSD. I was trying to simplify it for those who don’t know a lot about Linux (and probably never will). It might help others if you restate this, keeping in mind what a typical user knows and doesn’t know. Going into the details helps those who know a fair amount about Linux, but it’s confusing for the rest of the Volumio users.

Which DSD capable DAC do you use, which is not supported by the x86 kernel? That I can fix for a future release. I just need the Vendor ID from you.

I have a Chord Qutest DAC and an RME ADI-2 Pro. The docs of both of them state that they only support native DSD from an ASIO driver. The Qutest is driven by Volumio on an RPi4, and its ID is 245f:0815. The ADI-2 Pro is driven by Volumio on a mini-PC, and its ID is 2a39:3fd2. It would be great to have them use bit-streams. Thanks for your efforts! If you could let me know when it’s available to try, that would be nice.

OK for the PC, PI kernel we have no control over). I added both and will send you a download link by PM in half an hour or so for testing.

When they switched to the Volumio 3.xxx series, I got a very pleasant surprise. I use a DoukAudio DAC, from USB output. With the previous 2.xxx series, I could only play DSD files in DSD DoP mode, max. in DSD 5.6 format. When I updated Volumió (PC version) to the 3.xx system, my DAC came to life in native DSD mode and now plays quadruple DSD files beautifully. The DAC correctly shows in what mode and what type of stream it is receiving. Yes, the DAC is equipped with an XMOS208 chip.

There are certain DACs which are now treated slightly different.
When they have XMOS or Thesycon as Vendor ID (as an example) they are automatically considered DSD direct capable. Since Volumio 3 we are using kernels for the PI and x86 (plus some community portings) which implemented this rule. So that is why your Douk Audio now works.