Volumio 3 on RPI 4 restarts every few minutes

Hi, this might be due to the new Chromecast and SONOS search.

In the past, we had this issue when some “non-compliant” network devices were found. So, to solve this issue, we really need logs from you.

If you can connect via SSH and do:

node /volumio/logsubmit.js

You will receive something like:

{"status":"OK","link":"http://logs.volumio.org/XXXXXXXl"}

Please copy and past this last line here. That will help us troubleshoot

{“status”:“OK”,“link”:“http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/jJB9o4q.html”}

@volumio Logs uploaded. Sorry for the delay

Hi I have the some problem. where I can download the previous version of volumio?
thanks
marco

Hi @marcon sent a link via message

Please post your logs before you downgrade. As this might help Volumio to find the issue.

Same issue the 3.378 for me. No issues with any prior update.

3 Volumios in the house, two of which are RPI3 and one a RPI4. One of the RPI3 is ethernet connected and other two are wireless. All three act in the same way.

Did a clean install on a new SD card on the ethernet connected RPI3 unit and issue remained.

Already downgraded it and the RPI4 units to a prior version so I could listen to music.

That said the RPi3 unit I have in my office at work with the latest version works flawlessly.

Please create a log file and post it.

Hi everyone, any update on this thread?
If I can provide any help, please do not hesitate to ask

Same issue for me, ver. 3.378 (X86/X64)

Same ask for you:

Having the same reboot loop issue. I will try and get the logs tomorrow. If the boot cycle they are in is long enough to ssh in and get the logs.

I’ve got 2 rpi4 one on an upgrade to 3.378 and one is a clean install, both have been cycling through reboots since the update/install.

Log file from the Updated one.
http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/K0GvF29.html

Still trying with the clean install, it’s rebooting faster than I can get in and run the log command

Similar issue here. First, after doing over the air update to 3.378 I had the repetitive restart problem. I did a reflash of each of the 3 sd cards and restarted the first system. All seemed well. I restarted the next system and now both are un responsive.

Here is log of System 1
{“status”:“OK”,“link”:“http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/cuMhYGA.html”}

and System 2
{“status”:“OK”,“link”:“http://logs.volumio.org/volumio/xjhj5av.html”}

Holding off on System 3 until I can get these two stabilized
All help appreciated

1 Like

For whatever reason, both systems have been playing uninterupted for several hours now.
I made no changes since pulling the logs posted above

1 Like

Repeating restart problem is back.

Also, I have made an observation that may or may not have a connection to these issues.

As stated in my post above I got my first two systems (an Rpi4 and an Rpi3) playing reliably.
This gave me confidence to add the 3rd player to the network.
When I did this, all three players fell into the repeating restart cycle. Is there a connection here, or just coincidence?

I shut down the Rpi 4 and the other two players are now stable.
Restarted the Rpi4 and all three are in the restart sequence again.

So what is it about having the three players on the network that initiates this and how do I fix it?
It’s not always the same player that causes the problem.
I had 1&2 running and the problems came when I added #3.
I had 2 &3 running and the problems came when I added #1.

Could it be a limitation of my WIFI coverage?
FWIW I am streaming radio to all three so they are not trying to access the music library. (another issue for another post)
All three were playing reliably prior to updating to 3.378

Streaming a radio signal, is most of the time not involving huge amount of data, however:

• Do all rPi have there own unique IP address?
  • Is your access point close by or does it need to travel through walls etc?
  • If you are able to connected them to a wired connection do you experience the same?
  • if you place a few tracks on the internal storage and play from there, do you have the same behaviour?
  • They each have their own unique address. I haven’t set up fix IP addresses for them but they always come up on the same.

• There are walls or floors between the access point and each of these.

• I haven’t tried wired connections. I don’t have wired network in house

• Haven’t tried putting local music on all three. Since I loaded 3.378 the cards are clean (except the system)

Follow up to previous observation. I powered #3 off and now #1 & #2 are playing fine.

Sorry for all the question, but it’s difficult debugging via a forum :slight_smile:

• Are you able to perform the same tests closer to your access point and what are the results?
  • If you numbered your rPi’s, like #1, #2 and #3, can you also play #2 and #3 together or #1 and #2 without issues?
  • Please also perform the test with some local files attached to the rPi’s. I need to have a way to exclude the wireless connections.

It seems related to connectivity issues, as the WiFi in a rPi is not the strongest kind and there are to may obstacles/distance between the access point and rPi’s.

If things error out, please provide the logs, so we have something to look into.

Hello, is any developer looking into this issue? Do you need further data?
After providing the logs, I rolled back to version 3.324, which is stable for me.
If you need further testing on 3.378, I would be happy to help