Volumio 3 - Erased my local music library

Guess I’m a lucky guy: I only lost 200 GB of my music. And all other stuff I had on this Rpi. The only thing remaining after an update from 3.x to 3.378 was my network address. Wonderful.

After pressing the friendly green update button, why is there not also a big red text on the screen saying:

This so-called update WILL WIPE YOUR EVERYTHING. Your local music, config, anything on this computer will be ERASED. Do you really think that is a good idea? Are you 100% sure that this is indeed what you want?

That would have stopped me from clicking.
I’ve seen a lot of bad software in my life, but never have I seen anything coming close to an update that decides to delete all your data.

Sorry to hear,
Volumio has spend a lot of effort, trying to solve occasional issues that you mention. They already did some code changes to reduce this to a minimum. The majority of these errors are related to marginal or interrupted PSU.
Always disconnect external connected devices when performing the update to minimize this problem.
Updating from V3.x to V3.y should keep your settings.

You can try to hook the disk to a windows PC and run a program like Recuva, and see if all is still recoverable.

Hmm, did You updated from Volumio2? Or pressed “install to disk” button? I know that it is possible to wipe music from connected drive if “Install to disk” is pressed, also exactly same warning is shown on screen in this case.

How can I tell what version I updated from?

if you have update from V2.x to V3.x there is a big warning that al settings will be lost. Only updating from V3.x to V3.y should keep al settings, unless something strange happened.

Judging from this thread it is not so uncommon and it has quite severe consequences.
There were no external devices; the data was on the SD card. Nothing was interrupted (the upgrade was “smooth”) and there were no warning messages at all.
I can recover most from a backup.

Did You held Your music on same SD-card where Volumio was installed? If so, I’m not surprised that all data was lost.

Yes I used the internal storage, as per volumio documentation:

Can I use the unused space of my SD card for music?
Yes. Volumio has a folder called ‘INTERNAL’ set aside for this, which uses the free space on your SD card. Inside Volumio, the path inside to this share is currently /mnt/INTERNAL (this could change in later versions of Volumio).

So how am I to know that this will be wiped on update? Why can’t the updater check if there is anything present in that directory and issue a warning (or refuse to update)?

Normally updating from V3.x to V3.y this will not happen, so it seems you had some bad luck. Unless, and I repeat myself, you upgrade from V2 and there is a big banner with warnings for it.

There have been reports with external USB drives, that gave issues as explained by Volumio in topic: Volumio 3 - Erased my local music library - #42 by volumio

Thanks for your fast replies!
(I’ll go to my backups…)

Please give us as much context as what you did, which version you updated from, how much music you has etc.

For us is very important to fix even the most remote edge cases, and without such info it’s quite impossible

I don’t know where to find the version I was updating from. I installed that in May or June 2021. I clicked the update button and it installed and rebooted. There was no warning of any kind.
The music was in the INTERNAL directory. I also had a plugin for a hardware shutdown button.
None of that survived, only the wireless network settings.

You upgraded then from Volumio 2 to Volumio 3.

Considering how different the system is, we have to clear all the data on the device to ensure smooth playback (we keep wifi settings to not disconnect people).

There is a big warning on the update procedure telling you that. What can we improve to explain this better?

Hi Michelangelo,

only an idea, but you could check for, if any music files are existing in the internal folder or an external drive is connected- then force a user to backup them and delete them from the internal directory as well as disconnect external drives before the update can be started.

Best Regards
Josef

Why not backup all settings playlists ect. and what @Josh2000 added.
And a import option of it in the new install this should help every one.

I haven’t seen any warning. There was not a two-step procedure (“Are you sure?”). It looked like a minor thing to me and I didn’t realize that this was a major update.

I believe there is a message like this before the upgrade:

That looks like an adequate warning message. Unfortunately I haven’t seen it when I updated. I don’t think it will be possible to reconstruct what went wrong.
I appreciate all your help and inputs. I’m almost back to a usable system…

2 Likes

This has happened to me. I used \volumio in Windows Explorer to move some music files to the drive. Everything appeared fine. I left explorer open and closed my laptop which puts it to sleep. When I opened it later, the computer was behaving differently. It seemed like services were no responding. I noticed explorer was open and I couldn’t close the window. I used taskman to kill the process and rebooted. After reboot I opened volumio and tried to play one of the new songs, there was an error that said the file could not be found. I rescanned the drive and it now shows 0 files.

I opened explorer and connected to \volumio. The drive appears but is empty. When I plug the ssd into windows it doesn’t even recognize the device.

Any ideas how I can get the ssd to unmount so I can try to recover all my music?

RPi5
Volumio 3.631

I found a solution.
First don’t panic, the files aren’t gone. But the USB is locked and you have to unlock it.
Here is what I did.
In the address bar of the browser enter http://volumio.local/dev/
Under SSH click Enable
open command prompt on PC
enter ssh volumio@ip address of volumio device (ex 192.168.1.2)
after successful login type cd mtn … enter
dir … enter ~ displays a list of mount points
cd USB … enter ~ note all caps at USB
dir … enter ~ displays name of mounted USB devices the device should be there
type umount /mnt/USB/name of device (ex MUSAAC) ~ note caps at USB and your device name …enter
plug in USB drive (with everything you hold dear)
go to volumio.local
settings
sources
click update or rescan, don’t remember which it was
volumio should identify media and start to scan, files appear
after scan completes go to music library, USB is present again and the files are all back like it never happened.
go back to volumio.local/dev and disable SSH ~security

used this link to find solution, last comment. Unable to add/modify/remove mounts using webui - #16 by Richardtrimble

Linux will make it seem like the USB is broken and everything is lost. You plug the USB into another device and it doesn’t do anything. You plug the USB into Volumio and nothing appears. You’re like fek! Volumio ruined my SSD wtf? The USB just needs to be told to allow access again. When you plug the USB into RPi Volumio thinks the USB is plugged in but the connection has been cut and needs to be reset all the meta data regarding your precious files is gone and so it appears to be blank. Not so. I hope this helps.

1 Like