Volumio 2 on Odroid Boards

read my post again, btw i2s is on the j7 port, not on the 40-pin gpio.

Thanks for your feedback, unfortunately I edited the “user.config.ini” file and added → dactype=ODROID-HIFI.
I use the TDA1541a. on an android n2+.
Before it worked with a raspberry pi.
Can you help me?
Thanks for your feedback.

Ask on the hardkernel odroid forum how to get it running on an n2 ubuntu image.
When this it working, post the changes here and perhaps I can help translating that to the volumio environment.
No further support, sorry

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback,

On the following link there is a configuration with a file with the extension “diff”.
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=35886

I hope that it is enough.

Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day.

patch does not fit exactly, too many changes for something I cannot test, sorry.

Hello, I have created a file user.boot.ini
Can you tell me what you have written in the file?

Thanks for your feedback,

Best regards.

I don’t know why you are insisting to get support, which is not on offer. Plus doing this in an obsolete volumio v2 thread? v2 and v3 are not the same. Take v3 versions as-is, they may be updated once in a while, but you are on your own with them, sorry.

In another post you ask me to look in the posts above to find an answer to the i2s.
Since you did not give me a satisfactory answer.
We are in a forum ? So asking questions makes sense!
Finally, the version volumio 3 on Odroid N2 does not work, the plugin tells me constantly to connect to have access, radios do not work.
In short, a user has succeeded in i2s so I ask the question!
Do you have a solution? I connect the i2s with pcm5102.
Volumio is running out of steam I have the impression, and for an open system, I find it more and more closed…
There was a lot of work before by the team and now it’s complicated I think.
Have a nice day.

I told you, the odroid i2s forum patch cannot be applied without extra effort, so you are, unfortunately, out of luck. You are correct, i2s worked fine with some external boards for the C1/C2 and C4, I tested myself with a pcm5102a board.
As the developer of the Odroid versions I can assure you that nobody can have done this with an N2 using Volumio 2, as the afore mentioned patch is missing.
Btw. Volumio 3 works fine on an N2/N2+ and a C4, using it every day, so do a lot of others.

Here is my user.boot.ini file

[generic]
; The purpose of this file is to override defaults in boot.ini and config.ini
; This file will not be touched during updates (Odroids do not use userconfig.txt).
; Rename this file to user.boot.ini and it will be read during boot

; DAC settings
; ============
; Uncomment dactype and cardname to enable Hifi Shield (ODROID-HIFI) or HiFi Shield 2 (ODROID-HIFI2)
; HiFi Shield and Shield+ are using the pcm5102a driver
; HiFi Shield 2 uses the pcm5242 driver and I2C bus
; For Volumio compatibility reasons, cards ODROID-HIFI and ODROID-HIFI2 were internally renamed to ODROID-DAC and ODROID-DAC2
; The pcm5102a driver is a very generic implementation an can also be used for other simple DACs
; In case such a custom DAC is installed, type ODROID-HIFI should be used. It can have its own cardname

; dactype={ODROID-HIFI|ODROID-HIFI2}
dactype=ODROID-HIFI

; Odroid C4 analog/ lineout (using pin header j4)
;overlays=“lineout”

; Heartbeat for Odroid C4
; You can disable the blue LED heartbeat with this option, 0=off/1=on
;heartbeat=0

; Volumio-specific
loglevel=7

I have had success getting I2S from C1/C2/C4. I’ve never tried an N2. I connected directly to the J7 to achieve it.

C1/C2 was a direct connect to my DAC USB-I2S input going to Audio-GD DAC.

C4 I had to use an HDMI sender to my HDMI-I2S input going my newer Audio-GD DAC.

I hope that helps.

That’s for a C4 with Volumio 3, which is not 100% compatible with an N2 because it does not have the necessary hifishield (i2s) dt overlay patches

Thanks so much for explaining @gkkpch!

First of all I wanted to thank you for the great job of porting the new Volumio 3 to Odroid.

It came at the right moment while my Hifiberry suddenly decided to start suffering from power/ground(?) issues on the Raspberry 4. The cause is explained elsewhere on this forum and not solvable apparantly. According to Hifiberry at least.

This sparked my interest in the Odroid again, which I was using for quite a while now dedicated for just Kodi. On which it does an excellent job, as it is so much faster than other devices like Raspberry Pi for example.

Also I agree the “base” sound quality of the board is quite good on the standard outputs. However myself I am looking for more than quite good, to feed a SMSL DO200 DAC.

I saw just now that you replied long ago to my earlier post:

Apologies, but actually I was not active on this forum for a while as I “fixed” my problem by using the Raspberry until the new problem arose with the Hifiberry. You already properly closed the topic as you fixed the SPDIF in Volumio 3.

That is why I respond here now on your interesting comments.

Earlier I was not aware that I needed GPIO or soldering. When I bought the Odroid N2 I was so naive to think that the Odroid had SPDIF on the headphone output jack, like many other devices have.

Now back to your remarks. USB Audio is not bad at all, but it introduces noise. Now I can of course buy a noise silencer. But Audiofiles would say it is better to prevent noise in stead of filtering it out.

That is why I am now considering again to go through the SPDIF route. Now I saw your remarks about the GPIO. I have two questions on it now.

I saw this board:
Digitale Interface I2S vers SPDIF BNC WM8804 - Audiophonics

The reason why I like this more than the DIY optical examples: it has COAX which is less prone to jitter than Optical. I expect this is also a galvanic isolated board, but I could be wrong.

Furthermore as a NOOB I am thinking this may cover the otherwise needed DIY items like adding a 100 Ohm resistance and such. So I do not have to DIY all of it, like others seem to be so good at.

My second question: if I want to use the GPIO, what do I need for connectors, wires? Where do you buy such stuf?

I found this for example:
Insulated Female Blade Terminal 4.8mm 0.5-1.5mm² Red (x10) - Audiophonics
Is it the right one?

Also you said:

HiFi Shields are good, worth the money, but there are better alternatives.

Can you name some? I would be interested to apply one maybe.

Are there any other newer Odroid boards, with a HAT that puts out I2S, that you plan to port Volumio to? I would be willing to volunteer buying testing for you, if you need.

Sorry for the NOOB questions but I offer my eternal gratitude for your answers in return (for what it is worth :sweat_smile:).

By the way I know quite some about audio, but my Linux skills are very very basic. Not to say hardly existent. :yum:

Another thing: I could not get into SSH: I tried all the default passwords, as “odroid” and “root” user. Could you PM it to me?

Thanks again!

for Volumio:
user: volumio
pw: volumio

Please check your powersupply. I had a enormous noise on all outputs, which got solved by replacing the PSU. Seems the N2+ is very sensitive to it.

1 Like

thanks!

Actually I am using the standard Odroid N2 powersupply. But I could go for another, thanks for the hint.

Anyway I was looking for another USB cable and I surprised myself by finding a USB cable Audioquest Perl hidden since last year in my closet. Applying this cable dramatically decreased noise, to a level almost impossible to hear.

Anyone who still dares to say cables are audiofile nonsense I do not take seriously anymore for advise. :grin: But I expect on this forum many members have the same experience with better cables.

if you have a BAD USB cable, replacing it will sure make a difference. If the discussion goes to that a 500 euro cable sounds so much better then a 50 Euro one, I still tend to the audiophile nonsense :slight_smile:

Yes you are right, above a reasonable price point the extra advantage becomes very marginal, close to non existent imho.

Is C1+ supported? I have a USB DAC and a C1+ I would like to pair.

Fro Volumio 2 there is no more support, not for any Odroid.
With Volumio 3, support for C1/C2 has been dropped a while ago.
You can still download a latest version, untested, unsupported, when it works you are lucky. There will be no more updates.
See the summary here: Unofficial Volumio 3 on Odroid boards (C4/ N2/ N2+)