Raspberry Pi5 - NVMe M2 Boot (Pineberry Pi HatDrive!)

You need to ask @nerd . I use his copy.

It is not recommended to play with system files, unless you know what you’re doing.
Better leave the squashfs be and wait for a new image instead.

I know exactly what I’m doing. But unfortunately booting from NVME is not possible without changing system files. It would be nice to change the boot volume only with a kernel parameter. But unfortunately it is hardcoded. And if MyVolumio were a separate plugin that was paid for, then these changes would be unnecessary. I know, all what we do here is without warranty. :wink:

Hi - I’m really interested in seeing a robust version of this - my SD cards typically fail within 18 months. Is there a real chance that an SSD (e.g. Hatdrive) compatible version of Volumio will be released and supported, or is this going to remain a hack (perhaps a well documented and straightforward one, but something that might break after each new release of Volumio)?

The progress is frequently updated in the DEV thread. Personally, the Alpha build is my daily driver, which helps me and devs squash bugs, not much to find really. The current effort and perhaps last outstanding major task is to prepare a safe OTA for the transition to UUID based image. W are taking here weeks if not days for the Beta to become available.
Happy hacking!

Be patient :slight_smile:

Well I can’t deny I’m excited by this, but I’m old enough to have learned patience :slightly_smiling_face:
happy to be a trialist when the time comes.

Kindly requesting help with testing conversion to UUID here.

Please report your findings in the DEV thread.
Happy hacking!

I ordered a Geekworm M400 and I had to return it, after a minute running it caused some I/O errors, it disconnected and even corrupted the SD.

With the Pimoroni with the same disc, everything was perfect

I use over 2 months Pineberry Pi HatDrive without any problems, now is connected to auxiliary 1,5A linear PSU ( socket for additional PSU is plus on this PCB ).

With additional ribbon ( I have 3 lenght ) I can mount NVMe in any position.

I recommend this PCB !!

P.S. Do you know that one of the constructor of this hat is friend of Jeff Geerling ?? Together, they have developed projects such as MirkoPC and Pi4GPU.

I am using the same drive, a Kioxia G2 plus, with a Pimoroni base, and it works perfectly without the need for external power, the power that comes through the pcix is ​​sufficient.

I tried the one from Geekworm because they also have a case designed for the Raspberry and the hat nvme, but it seems that, at least that model, has incompatibility problems with several brands of drives that work on others. They have offered me to try the x1001, which is also compatible with the same box, and I think I will do it.

We have dedicated and frequently updated thread PCIe NVMe compatibility covering findings.

Why I use externall PSU?? Without this works too but… less stable. My Oak Volumio is turn on all time. I play music or if no it is weather station.

Without additional PSU My Volumio sometimes turn off itself. With PSU system works without shut down.

I have LCD too.

me too :slight_smile:

Awesome !!! :slight_smile:

Can you kindly allow to resolve your post 20sec more boot time since 3.631 before instructing community to make changes which may not be relevant to the issue you are facing?

1 Like

Ok, no problem. I did not want to be unpolite

“Sharing is caring” - observations, challenges, remedies, etc. We can all be misdirected despite our best intentions.

Hi nerd! I don’t know if this the right thread to ask this question, i want to know if i can move/copy the whole volumio Os/bootable sd card from sd card/ssd to sd card using my PC or laptop.
Thanks,

The answer depends on the PC’s or Laptop’s OS installed. With linux or OSx it is a matter of proper use of the “dd” command whilst on MS Windows it is more complex.