Protodac all dressed up. TDA1387 NOS streamer with audiophile Dac

TY, Yes I hadnt seen that specific one. Im using a DOuk Audio u2 PRO as DDC it spits out i2S via HDMI and has coaxial and OPtical outputs as well. It has 3 sperate active crystal clocks and It brought my cheapo but damn good SMSL SU-1 to another level. Im considering maybe modifying a HDMI cable and feed the protodac i2s from that.

it’s definitely doable, but then you need an additional circuit to convert the differential I2S signals from the HDMI cable to the 3.3V single-ended required by the TDA1387

IMHO, here is a better and simpler solution for about the same price that even have balanced outputs: Raspberry hooked to SMSL D-6s or Topping E50 via async USB. Or even better if you’re a competent computer hobbyist: Replace the raspberry by a BMAX B2 Pro Mini PC (Intel N4100 / 8G RAM / 256G SSD) for 87$ on Aliexpress. You can run Volumio on this but in my case, i use straight MPD on Rocky Linux 8 + RompR docker/podman container as MPD client. I even have other containers and a Home Assistant VM!