Power Supply for Volumio Primo

Thanks jsneff,
Although Hans Beekhuyzen often mentions power supplies in his reviews, Volumios as well, I suspected it would not make worthy of the price difference. Thought I would ask first, they are not that cheap after all.

1 Like

@chourmovs_vs
From what I read elsewhere power conditioner do have a tendency to take life away from the devices they filter that power for (musical devices, I mean). Do not know if this is really so, but I just do not have any excitement about trying it out, somehow.

1 Like

ASR is a Pandora’s box in itself; I only looked at few of their threads on this topic, with nja, nja mostly, and closed that page, again. Just do not think those guys give a fair enough picture to what you may get at the end. On almost every topic they open.

2 Likes

That’s a very harsh and undefined statement you make.
Guess manufacturers just loan their stuff to ASR just for the heck of it.

It’s more complicated and multivarial, difference you can hear depends on the sensitivity of your system and the one of your auditive organs. If I remember well, I’ve read somewhere on this forum that shanti’s power was an improvement to primo’s standard one. Since the day I own my dynaudio X38, everytime i change something in my setup, i feel a significative change, sometime placebo effect may happen but it make sense since slight difference are passing in an amplification, multiplication is “distributive” if I remember well :wink:

it was concerning new rivo in fact

I also compared…
Many standard noname, Apple, RPI, iFi, Allo Nirvana.
iFi is clearly better than the Noname, Allo Nirvana better than iFi.
I couldn’t test Shanti.
I am currently using the Allo Nirvana and will not give it away again!
I also use the iFi AC iPurifier.
(Allo BOSS2, Hypex NC400, Boenicke Audio W5SE)
There is also the DC iPurifier, but don’t know if it’s a good device?

If your system is good, the differences are easily audible.
Listen carefully, you will notice.
e.g. live, vocals, piano, drums and use good recordings
More real, more vivid, it’s more fun

But if you are not interested enough in the last details and you are not an audio freak, there is no need to invest a lot of money in a power supply.

Found interesting comparison here,

1 Like

I got night and day experience when I change from stock Raspberry to a IFi Power X 5v.
Just wow when I connected it.
But that was on my system.
Buchardt speakers
Musical Fidelity M6si
Topping D90 MQA

1 Like

sometimes it is also the expectation that puts you on edge and you suddenly hear everything differently.

I’ve secretly switched components from a friend’s installation in the past.
he didn’t notice anything all evening until the moment I gave it away.

Have you ever had the feeling that everything just doesn’t sound as nice and the next day it suddenly does. a person is very sensitive to a certain mood and events that happen casually during the day.

as an example: (not really hey :wink: ) volumio announces a major update but then changes nothing in their software (except a few characters) then I’m almost sure that there are a lot of people who hear all kinds of improvements or deteriorations at once .
it’s just in it. expectation

there’s no absolute truth, it’s well known that our brain can accomodate to the lack of our system with time, but on the other side ampllified differences should be detectable on sensible setup.

1 Like

top notch setup indeed, I’m not surprised

1 Like

I had Buchardt S300 when I did the changed, now I got s400 mk2 :heart:
Love those speakers

1 remark, the topic was initially concerning primo where adjunction of an external PSU is still in question. We already know as explained by wheaten that RPI with it’s low end circuit highly benefit from a better power source

the fact is that everything you said is truth, I Ve also often the sensation that humidity of the listening room change the listening experience… no joke :sweat_smile:

I know this is a little of topic, but still wroth to share. My approach is a different, because I try to keep away any noise coming from SBC, PC, etc. At least for DAC powered by USB and not having highly sophisticated filters build in I found a noticeable difference.

I bought a Farad Super 3 LPS with their Level 2 output cable to use with the original Primo and it made a substrantial difference. I am now using it with my new Rivo. I learned about Farad from Audio Bacon’s YouTube review of a number of LPSs. Good luck.

1 Like

I bought a bunch of linear PSUs from the Ali Express website and equipped those items with it:
Synology NAS (needed one with more power)
English Audio LAN Switch
Volumio Prio
Each below 100€

And three power chords from Wire World.
Each 200€

The result was drastic.
I also changed the LAN setup so the audio stuff is as separated as possible from the IT stuff.
Also I switched to dedicated audio LAN cables from Shunyata.

A lost of money and time spent and a lot of people may call me crazy.
But all those changes brought my digital chain step by step (!) close to the analogue especially when listening to High Res data.

I do not regret any single investment.

My 2 cents…

Cheers
Rolf

1 Like

I use ifi ipower x on my volumio primo hifi
The sound is good clear and clean, i myself will to test it with sbooster to hear if it brings even more cleaness and warm out of it

1 Like

curious to hear your feedback