[PLUGIN] MPD OLED - installation & configuration plugin

Hi dragon

Thanks for the feedback, your results suggest a problem with the mpd_oled binary package on Volumio, and the library issue may explain the recent frozen display reports.

For a while I have been creating a single mpd_oled binary package for Volumio and Moode by building it on whichever player is based on the earlier debian distribution. It may be that I should go back to providing separate binary packages for the different players.

Regarding mpd.conf.tmpl, the plugin uses a different way to set up the audio copy for the spectrum than in the instructions I provide, and it is correct that the plugin has not changed this file.

I will see if I can set up a Volumio machine and take look at what is going on, and then make separate binaries if this seems necessary. This might not be until next week though…

Adrian.

1 Like

I had a look, and I built the mpd_oled package on Moode 8.3.2, but Moode switched to debian bullseye with version 8.3.1. I’ll look at building packages on Raspberry Pi OS based on buster, and hopefully that will be fine for both Moode and Volumio for a while. It takes some time to set things up and test, so it will still probably be next week before I can update the binary package.

Adrian.

4 Likes

I happened to wake up early today, so I looked at this, and have uploaded a new binary mpd_oled package, which I built on Raspberry Pi OS Lite Legacy (based on buster).

The binaries work on Volumio, but the mpd_oled plugin will crash when music is played, for the reason that I originally suspected was causing the crash Here is the relevent (cava) error from the Volumio log

Error loading config. No HOME found (ERR_HOMELESS), exiting...

The error can probably be fixed by setting the HOME environment variable to /tmp for mpd_oled when it is executed. If mpd_oled is executed from a bash script then you can export HOME and then exec mpd_oled. See the end of

mpd_oled/scripts/mpd_oled_launch at master · antiprism/mpd_oled · GitHub

[EDIT: or just launch mpd_oled with this same script, passing the path to the mpd_oled executable followed by all the mpd_oled options]

Adrian.

1 Like

I can add setting the HOME variable to the plugin

4 Likes

Hi Mase

I have raised an issue about this with the cava project, and it looks like the requirement to have a HOME directory will be removed

"HOME" directory · Issue #510 · karlstav/cava · GitHub

If this is done (and Karl is normally pretty quick) then I will publish a new mpd_oled binary package, and new installations of the Volumio mpd_oled plugin should work again, without having to make any changes to the plugin code.

Adrian.

3 Likes

Thank you. Looking forward to it.

Brilliant! Thanks :blush:

1 Like

Seems the latest Volumio update V3.509 breaks mpd_oled due to non met dependencies. MPD_OLED expect V8.0.0, but Volumio comes with V14.15.4

volumio@volumio-allo:~$ node -v
v14.15.4
Downloading plugin at https://plugins.volumio.workers.dev/pluginsv2/downloadLatest/mpd_oled/volumio/buster/armhf
END DOWNLOAD: https://plugins.volumio.workers.dev/pluginsv2/downloadLatest/mpd_oled/volumio/buster/armhf
Creating install location
Unpacking plugin
Checking that the plugin is suitable for this version of Volumio Plugin failed the dependency check Plugin has native addons 8.0.0 which may not be usable with 14.15.4 The plugin cannot be installed on this version of Volumio.
An error occurred while installing the plugin Plugin failed the dependency check Plugin has native addons 8.0.0 which may not be usable with 14.15.4 The plugin cannot be installed on this version of Volumio.

Modified package.json with:

"engines": {
		"node": ">=14",
		"volumio": ">=3.126"
	},

executed:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y build-essential 
npm update

Install ran through, plugin fails to start.

as workarround I’ve installed the dev branch manually

oh, so even with the package.json changes it still won’t start? :disappointed_relieved:

Nope.
It installs, but you can’t activate it. Also the settings page won’t load.
Even ran a npm update in the /data/plugins/.... folder, no success

ah, fuck :disappointed_relieved: Any error messages or anything? I would not have expected this to happen :persevere:

it seems only to fail completely on a fresh install. If you upgrade the plugin still partial works. And with partial I mean it comes with stuttering audio output.

Karl, the cava developer, has updated cava to work without a home directory. I have updated the mpd_oled binary package to include this new cava version. I installed the mpd_oled plugin on Volumio 3.449, and it is working for me.

Adrian.

1 Like

It also works for me on Volumio 3.449 after reinstalling the mpd_oled 1.1.1 plugin.
Thanks friends, you are great!

update:
in the test version Volumio 3.512 also works very well

Hi!
Thank you everyone.
The MPD Oled plugin works for me too.
I use a 2.42 oled display.

I tried to install MPD OLED plugin on a Raspberry Pi running Volumio3 v3.512 (the latest stable version), I get this error regarding node version

@supercrab @balbuze @volumio any idea on how to fix it?

Recently in version 3.512 I started getting ALSA errors.
I did a new clean install of Volumio 3.512 and same issue with MPD_OLED plugin installation.

I went back to version 3.449 (new clean install) and everything works fine, the MPD_OLED plugin installs and works without problems.

It’s very strange :disappointed_relieved: I’m not able to do anything about the ALSA errors. :disappointed_relieved:

I think @Wheaten further up the thread had some suggestions on how to fix it. :point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4::point_up_2:t4:

Yes, with the suggestions from @Wheaten I managed to manually install the plugin.

It would be nice to update the plugin with the very same changes, because at the moment it’s broken!