[PLUGIN] MPD OLED - installation & configuration plugin

Hi!

The MPD Oled plugin dont work for me.
The “Bars” not displayed on the oled screen.
I use Raspberry PI model 3B
Volumio VERSION: 3.449 PREMIUM
Display: SSH1106 1.3" I2C Oled

Please Help.
Thanks!

• How did you install it?
  • If you rotate the Display in the plugin settings, does the text properly scroll, as I see this OLED is defect.

1 Like

Hi!
I install the Oled plugin from Volumio Plugins menu.
The Oled is not defect. This is interferencia with the smartphone camera.

Hi Don_Frenk

If you leave the screen displayed does the time displayed change (in this case from 07:31 to 07:32)?

Adrian.

Hi Adrian
After this screen, nothing changes. This crashed.

Hi Don_Frenk

Thanks. Most likely cava (the mpd_oled_cava process) has crashed.

I don’t know all the details of the plugin setup, but the crash may relate to using a recent version of cava, and the Volumio user that runs mpd_oled (which starts cava) does not have a home directory indicated in a way that cava can determine.

See:

If this is the issue in the plugin, then this might be enough information to fix it (or provide instructions to resolve it).

Otherwise, it is difficult for me to look at anything on Volumio at the moment, but if there is no way forward on this issue then I will try to take a look.

Adrian.

Mybe this help for you Adrian?

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo mpd_oled_volumio_mpd_conf_install
{“time”:1686251504495,“response”:“stop Success”}Warning: Stopping mpd.service, but it can still be activated by:
mpd.socket
rm: cannot remove ‘/tmp/mpd_oled_fifo’: No such file or directory

The missing file message just indicates that there is no previous mpd_oled installation that has created this file (I think the plugin uses a different name for the file).

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a solution to the problem.

I’ve also had problems recently:
in Volumio 3.449 version on RPi 4b, the active mpd_oled 1.1.1 plug-in constantly stutters and interrupts the sound, after disabling the plug-in it works without interruptions.

I went back to Volumio 3.378 with mpd_oled 1.0.18 which I have on a separate sd card and it plays fine.

I could never get the plugin working myself with audio issues on Volumio v3 :disappointed_relieved:

same here, it just works. very occasionally I here a short stuttering for 3 seconds but that’s it. SO hard to debug or narrow down the issue.

Please post a log when this is happening, maybe it will give us some clue.

The solution lies just out of reach of @Adrii and I.

I suspect it’s something to do with how Volumio streams the data to mpd_oled. Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about how it works and I don’t know what to look for. 🫣

Hello, maybe someone can help.

I had problems with MPD OLED v.1.1.1 plugin
I am using Raspberry Pi 4B; Volumio 3.449; TOPPING DX3 Pro+ DAC

After installing the plugin in the standard way through the GUI
OLED indication appears, but Spectrum indication is not active in Play mode.
In …/mpd.conf.tmpl section audio_output{type “fifo”… MPD OLED is not added.

The DAC does not play DSD Direct, with the plug-in disabled it does.

mpd_oled_cava says “…libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29’ not found” on startup.
Even after replacing libm, the music stuttered and the processor was loaded up to 70% by mpd.

However, antiprism’s way of installing from sources works correctly!

Good luck

1 Like

Hi dragon

Thanks for the feedback, your results suggest a problem with the mpd_oled binary package on Volumio, and the library issue may explain the recent frozen display reports.

For a while I have been creating a single mpd_oled binary package for Volumio and Moode by building it on whichever player is based on the earlier debian distribution. It may be that I should go back to providing separate binary packages for the different players.

Regarding mpd.conf.tmpl, the plugin uses a different way to set up the audio copy for the spectrum than in the instructions I provide, and it is correct that the plugin has not changed this file.

I will see if I can set up a Volumio machine and take look at what is going on, and then make separate binaries if this seems necessary. This might not be until next week though…

Adrian.

1 Like

I had a look, and I built the mpd_oled package on Moode 8.3.2, but Moode switched to debian bullseye with version 8.3.1. I’ll look at building packages on Raspberry Pi OS based on buster, and hopefully that will be fine for both Moode and Volumio for a while. It takes some time to set things up and test, so it will still probably be next week before I can update the binary package.

Adrian.

4 Likes

I happened to wake up early today, so I looked at this, and have uploaded a new binary mpd_oled package, which I built on Raspberry Pi OS Lite Legacy (based on buster).

The binaries work on Volumio, but the mpd_oled plugin will crash when music is played, for the reason that I originally suspected was causing the crash Here is the relevent (cava) error from the Volumio log

Error loading config. No HOME found (ERR_HOMELESS), exiting...

The error can probably be fixed by setting the HOME environment variable to /tmp for mpd_oled when it is executed. If mpd_oled is executed from a bash script then you can export HOME and then exec mpd_oled. See the end of

mpd_oled/scripts/mpd_oled_launch at master · antiprism/mpd_oled · GitHub

[EDIT: or just launch mpd_oled with this same script, passing the path to the mpd_oled executable followed by all the mpd_oled options]

Adrian.

1 Like

I can add setting the HOME variable to the plugin

4 Likes

Hi Mase

I have raised an issue about this with the cava project, and it looks like the requirement to have a HOME directory will be removed

"HOME" directory · Issue #510 · karlstav/cava · GitHub

If this is done (and Karl is normally pretty quick) then I will publish a new mpd_oled binary package, and new installations of the Volumio mpd_oled plugin should work again, without having to make any changes to the plugin code.

Adrian.

3 Likes

Thank you. Looking forward to it.