PCIe NVMe compatibility

Yes. I have a sinister plan.

I’m sending it back to Amazon (only arrived today) and will try another M.2 2230 or 2242 (any suggestions are much appreciated. :heart_eyes:

Just works:

With a good power supply:

Testing is still ongoing.

Thank you so much - I looked at both those options and nearly went for the SABRENT. If I order now it might arrive by tomorrow.

Hi!
I have this one, do you think it will work together with Geekworm X1001?

Regards / C

Transcend 110S series uses the same controller SM2263XT as Lexar NM610 Pro reported by @eMCZe as having issues. Unlike NM110Pro Transcend uses Dual-core, 4-ch, 4-CE/ch which may make the NVMe actually work with Raspberry Pi 5. Transcend 110S/120S require stable power delivery exceeding 1W.

1 Like

Ok, so it´s not the best choice I guess. I will give it a try and report back here. Do you think I will need a separate psu for it to function?

Thanks!

1 Like

Test both NMVe from my previous post:

• Integral INSSD1TM2230G3
  • Sabrent SB-2130-512

They are working fine.

Power limits are enforced by the PCIe lane which can deliver up to 5W.
To increase stability with high NVMe power draw, the Geekworm X1001 is furnished with XH2.54 5V 2-pin power connector.

My tests at the moment.

Disc NMVe Kioxia Exceria G2 plus 512 GB

Pimoroni base: Ok, perfect even in pci 3
Geekworm M400 hat: It doesn’t work, the disk is detected normally, but after 30-60 seconds disappears. If you have it mounted, gives an I/O error that usually puts the microSD out of action, and you have to rewrite it.

“Important notes” on their WIKI page M400 - Geekworm Wiki reveals incompatibility with NVMe furnished with Phison controller.

Is driven by Toshiba TC58NC1201GST - rebranded Phison E12S.
I don’t think this combination is meant to work.

What do you think of this ssd? there`s so many on market so it´s hard to choose. My geekworm x1001 should arrive on thursday so I could run som tests then

From the tech specs it is based on Silicon Motion SM2263XT frequently used in low power NVMe Gen3, like Adata, Lexar, Transcend and many others. There was a post with a bit of bad luck with Lexar based on the same controller, however Integral with the same controller simply works. The X1001 has an axillary 2-pin XH2.54 5V power connector in case this NVMe become demanding.

[quote=“Fungle, post:30, topic:65722”]

This combination is working 100% with Pimorini NVME Base, even in pci 3 mode. From Geekworm they say that the problem is Raspberry’s fault and that they should solve it, but at least in this case it is evident that the fault lies with their adapter, since with another one from another manufacturer it works without problems.

I liked Geekworm’s option for having everything in one box, so I decided to give them another chance and ordered a hat X1001 on Amazon, in case it was a problem exclusive to the M400. The order arrived today… and there was only the box, without the hat, so I have decided that I have had enough with these people, they have refunded me the amount of the hat and I will return the box.

I have made an adaptation to the official Raspberry box and it will stay that way, at least for the moment

FanXiang S700 uses Innogrit IG5220BBA controller settles somewhere above 5W power budget under stress. With a proper power delivery takes substantial workload like 24h random 1 or 0 zero writes, building deb packages or kernel.

fanxiang

Testing build:

• Raspberry Pi 5 8GB
  • Fanxiang M.2 2230 SSD - 1TB NVMe SSD
  • Pineberry HatDrive! Top
  • Waveshare Power Over Ethernet HAT (F)
  • PoE+ (IEEE 802.3at) switch
  • CAT 6A RJ45 cable

This is quite unfortunate development. As a suggestion - design 3D case for your need. Project as such, may be better fit.

Or use PineBerry Pi. They sell HatDrive bundle.

Hi @nerd , How your PineBerryPi HatDrive?? What do you think about it?

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion and as such does not reflect view of Volumio.

All Pineberry HATs electronically seem to be well engineered, they accept any workload I can throw at them. There seems to be a thought process that failed when designing HatDrive! Bottom where the shipped FCC ribbon blocks access to MicroSD socket. This is where the Geekworm X1002 or Pimoroni NVMe base wins with their FCC ribbon design and offsetting HAT’s PCIe entry port. Lastly, the mounting screw holding NVMe in place on all hats has limited accessibility, once the hat is installed. Of course, this is not relevant when there is no need to swap NVMe SSD frequently like in my tests.
Despite highlighted awkwardness Pineberry Pi engineers did a good job.