PCIe NVMe compatibility

I’m not sure what capacitance difference on the NVMe device init could be. Theoretically - there shouldn’t be any as there is no TLC NAND read/write at this point, only device ready state, metadata and health log. Will dig further (time permits).

I’m not sure what capacitance difference on the NVMe device init could be. Theoretically - there shouldn’t be any as there is no TLC NAND read/write at this point, only device ready state, metadata and health log. Will dig further (time permits).

There is no difference between a 1TB SSD and a 2TB SSD. There are even cases, such as Samsung’s 980 PRO, that report a maximum of 8.9w for the 1TB one and 7.2w for the 2TB one.

It must be taken into account that these consumptions are the maximum when they are connected to a 4-channel PCI, on a Raspberry that only has one channel they should be almost a quarter.

Further to my posts yesterday the SAMSUNG PM991 M.2 NVMe 2242 is compatible with the Geekworm X1003. As nerd has already indicated I suspect this is due to it not requiring as much power as the other SSDs I tried.

1 Like

This one also works fine with the Waveshare PCIe to M.2 adapter:
Samsung SSD PM9B1 256GB MZAL4256HBJD-00BL2
M.2 2242 /​M-Key (PCIe 4.0 x4)
Controller Marvell 88SS1322
Memory Modules 3D NAND TLC, Samsung
Protocol NVMe 1.4
Power consumption 4.2W (operation), 40mW (idle), 5mW (sleep mode)
Particularities L1.2 low power standby

1 Like

A local supplier had some units of this box available and I got one.

The box includes the NVMe adapter in the base, all in one piece. My Kioxia Exceria G2 plus SSD runs perfectly on pci 3 out of the box, although it is powered by Toshiba TC58NC1201GST, rebranded as Phison E12S. It seems that the problems affecting Geekworm are not as evident in other manufacturers.

The reading speed is the same as the Pimoroni base, 785MB/s in PCI 3 mode

1 Like

I’ve been looking at the eeprom versions of the Raspberry 5, and I found this

2024-01-24: NVMe boot fix for WD NVMe (latest)

Add a workaround for an issue seen when booting with WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD

This seems to solve the problems with the WD drives, so an eeprom update to version 1/24 or higher should be enough to be able to use them

1 Like

This is really progressing nicely.
Will test WDs time permit.

1 Like

This pair works for me

1 Like

The Kingston NV2 PCIe 4.0 500GB has been running for two days and has zero issue. Today I just substituted it with a Samsung 980Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB and been running for 4-5 hours now with also zero issue.

The question is do I need an extra power to the Geekworm X1001 or not? Currently I think it has power through the PCIe cable only.

Please refer to the specification below. As with every electronic component I am eyeing on longevity of all parts. Samsung 980Pro larger than 256GB will exceed PCIe lane power budget which will increase electronic Pi’s and HAT’s wear an tear.

1 Like

I just replaced the Samsung 980Pro 1TB Gen 4x4 with an Inland (MicroCenter) 2TB Gen 3x4 and so far so good. It has a Phison E12 controller. There is no speed different between the two on RPi5.

RPi5-8GB/fan
Geekworm X1001 NVMe Hat
Volumio v3.638
Inland 2TB NVMe 3.0x4
Touch Display Plugin 3.3.8
PeppyMeter Screen Saver Plugin - 1.5.0
Power Supply - Official Raspberry Pi 27w

I must admit, I can not find full NVMe SSD specs you are using. I sent an email to the distributor requesting the specs for their NVMe line-up. Do you happen to have details on hand?

@nerd here is the whole information including price of this NVMe. It’s a few years old now and been replaced with a Gen 4.0. The best thing about this is the warranty (6 years limited) and the endurance (3200 TBW).

https://www.microcenter.com/product/659882/inland-premium-2tb-ssd-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-30-x4-tlc-3d-nand-internal-solid-state-drive,-read-write-speed-up-to-3200-mbps-and-2900-mbps,-3200-tbw

Thank you for sharing. I must have a blackout of some sort since I missed specs portion whilst looking at the same page earlier on, or perhaps an evident lack of caffeine (as every other nerd - caffeine propelled).

There is one piece that stands out:

Electrical Specifications Power Usage - Read/Write 7 Watts

Other than that - nice NVMe.

I know. 7 watts on the spec is scary but hey, if it works without any problem, I’m happy. :slight_smile:

try those XTC pills… marvelous

I still have about 440MB out of 2TB NVMe that I put it on a couple of days ago. So far so good. :slight_smile:

Hi! I returned my geekworm x1001 since I realized that it was not right for my purposes. Instead I went for this one

GeekPi No5

I also ordered this SSD

Samsung

I will report back when and if I have them up and running.

Have a day, regards / C

@ClaesM Please let us know how it goes. Just curious, why do you think the GeekP No5 is better suited for your purposes?

Andy

Hi Andy!
Yes,I think it`s better for me. It connects directly to gpio for extra power if needed and there’s space for DSI if you want to connect a display that way. I will try it and report back here!

Claes