No sound out of HiFi Berry DAC + with Volumio2 (2.799)

pi4 HifiBerry DAC + pro Volumio2.802

Update:
I have the Parametric EQ working fine after restart.

New observation: I lost sound when I enabled Autoplay.
After disabling Autoplay and Autostart and rebooting all is well.

we have to do what? there is a problem with your update. I payed like 30 euro for this bit of software and it is not working. I am loosing a lot of time with you not having your shit together. I want to receive working software or you can wire my money back. And I m not even talking about an apology for selling a music player without volume controll

First I am not affiliated with volumio, just a customer like you. But the tone here is not the best. Mistakes happen, regardless what you get. Remember blue screens on PCs, CD players that do funny things etc. A suggestion to the team is to push the corrected version out ASAP.

1 Like

Thanks for all of you that reported their situation here.
It seems we are close to a solution.

Basically, the issue comes from the fact that the new kernel treats device number differently based on the PI model and the accessories attached to it (which is quite a pain!).
On top of that, the equalizer and parametric eq plugins seem not to react well on this update.

Thanks for all the patience, we try to avoid any of those issues but with the increasing number of PI models and audio DACs this is getting harder and harder

A new test build is out, version 2.803. If someone is able to give it a spin and report back, that would help a lot!

Will the upgrade conflict with those of us who already applied the tweak to the /boot/cmdline.txt file?

Update will overwrite /boot/cmdline.txt, applying the fix

Guys, how do you get the newest version? Mine says that 2.799 is the latest?

Simple. See here: https://volumio.github.io/docs/User_Manual/System_updates.html

I updated to version 2.803. All is well now with my RPi 4b 4GB + Pi2AES (I2S, emulating HiFi Berry Digi+ Pro). Probably my imagination, but I don’t think my system has ever sounded as good as now!

yes yes:) I was wondering if the image file can be found so I flash a new one without updating:)

The 2.803 image file is probably out there somewhere; but I believe the devs want to control copies, so they offer it as an update as the first option. It’s very easy and simple this way. I was able to update a broken 2.799 system (no sound out of I2S port).

Thank you all. I also updated and everything works. Just wanted to test a clean install as well.

I believe an update with a “Factory Reset” afterward (the button just below “Check Updates” is essentially a clean install.

New release is out for everyone!

1 Like

Release 2.806 works fine with my RPi 4b 4GB + Pi2AES

After having everything working with 2.802 and the parametric EQ I went ahead with 2.806. I get sound without the EQ enabled but not with.

I tried the disable/reboot/enable save/reboot sequence without success.
I currently have the EQ disabled and am listening.

Any other suggestions?
Should I take this to the Parametric EQ plugin topic?

I’m afraid a fix for the plugin is required, I have the same issue.

I just added a message in the Parametric EQ plugin section.

Ditto, no sound when Simple EQ plugin Active.We should consolidate all the Simple EQ plugin software bug issues under one thread.

BTW difference in /etc/mdp.conf file.

Sound from IQAudio Amp+ HAT is produced plugin NOT Active:

audio_output {
type “alsa”
name “alsa”
device “hw:2,0”
dop “no”

NO sound from IQAudio Amp+ HAT is produced plugin is Active:

audio_output {
type “alsa”
name “alsa”
device “hw:Loopback,0”
dop “no”

I’m having problems with an Allo Katana.

Raspberry Pi 4 8GB with an Allo Katana attached.

I tried a fresh install of 2.806 . And the procedure of disabling I2S, rebooting, enabling I2S, final reboot.

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 4/4
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 3/3
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2