MPD 0.21.16 for Volumio (arm, armv7 and x86)

For ytcr disconnecting on weak WiFi, there’s not much that can be done because it has to comply when it receives the ‘disconnect’ command from the Google server (which acts as some sort intermediary between Volumio and the YouTube app). On the other hand, it might be possible work around this by using a TV code linking method which supposedly doesn’t require the YouTube app to be on the same network as the receiver. I’m not sure if this will improve connection stability and it also needs to be implemented and tested, so you would have to wait (no ETA, sorry…)

I get

Sep 22 09:53:34 volumio systemd[1]: [/opt/mpd-0.21.16_20191227/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service:24] Unknown lvalue 'ProtectKernelTunables'
Sep 22 09:53:34 volumio systemd[1]: [/opt/mpd-0.21.16_20191227/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service:25] Unknown lvalue 'ProtectControlGroups'
Sep 22 09:53:34 volumio systemd[1]: [/opt/mpd-0.21.16_20191227/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service:26] Unknown lvalue 'ProtectKernelModules'
Sep 22 09:53:34 volumio systemd[1]: [/opt/mpd-0.21.16_20191227/lib/systemd/system/mpd.service:29] Unknown lvalue 'RestrictNamespaces' in
Sep 22 11:33:24 volumio systemd[1]: mpd.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
Sep 22 11:33:24 volumio systemd[1]: Unit mpd.service entered failed state.

with Volumio 2.909.

Output of systemctl status mpd?

Also systemctl --version?

1 Like

I did a apt update && apt upgrade, apt purge mpd, apt install mpd and the systemd-switch-mpd.sh script again and now it seems to work so far …

This is the first thing I did by hand apart the setting of the IP since I set up a new Volumio … ~ two months ago.

Always update never UPGRADE @smoneck this will break volumio…

I’m facing an interesting issue on my odroid c1+
You can read more here

basically with the official mpd the scan is awfully slow
With this newer one the scan is blazing fast but at the end it reaches 100% cpu utilization and out of memory making volumio crash.
Volumio-ytcr works great with seeking as well though so i guess something shall be changed to be compatible with odroids?

1 Like

I’ve never actually tried scanning a large library with this MPD version, since I use a separate device running Jellyfin media server that handles around 10,000 tracks, along with the Jellyfin plugin.

I’m not an expert, but the errors look like they are generated by the kernel. The aml_i2c_xfer messages relate to the i2c bus and have nothing to do with the current issue. If I understand correctly, the _hcd_isoc_complete:Uknown urb status -2 messages mean there’s something unusual with fetching / writing data through the USB bus. This is possibly what caused MPD to crash during the scanning stage.

That’s one of the things with using this MPD version on an old distro. The software was compiled with newer libraries, and some of the libraries are meant to work with newer kernels (AFAIK, the Odroid kernel is old… even older than the x86 version that Volumio uses). So it is possible that during the scanning stage, a library fetches data from the USB bus with the old kernel that happens to have a memory leak bug, and that eventually leads to MPD crashing.

1 Like

@patrickkfkan
I’m only scanning NAS devices over samba.
Mediaserver is working great though.
Does Volumio have a way to cheat on media cache? e.g. copying it over from another device?
About kernel facts you are totally right, as soon as Pi4 will drop in price ill go for it.
It’s a shame we can’t run it on a docker though

I’ve noticed the following in /var/log/mpd.log though

Oct 06 14:25 : client: [1] opened from 127.0.0.1:39433
ALSA lib conf.c:3650:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/opt/mpd-0.21.16_20191227/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib control.c:1375:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default
Oct 06 14:25 : exception: Failed to read mixer for 'alsa': failed to attach to default: No such file or directory

is this normal?

volumio@volumio:~$ sudo find / -name libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
[sudo] password for volumio:
/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
/static/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so