Install Volumio in a SSD partition

Hello, I have a Minix X86 with an i5 + 16 GB RAM + 1TB SSD. I would like to create three partitions on the SSD and install Ubuntu in one partition, Volumio in a second one and the rest use it for music files.
Is this even possible ??
I managed to create a bootable USB drive (on my Mac desktop, with “balenaEtcher”, with “raspberryPiImager” it didn’t boot) and it did boot and start, though I didn’t find where to tell it to install on the SSD, I’ll try again…

Thank you, Alex

1 Like

no this is not possible. Volumio doesn’t work with boot managers

Aha, good to know, thank you Wheaten. Is there any plan/future work that will allow this to work ?
Now, next question, in what “state” must be a SSD to allow installation of the Volumio onto it ?? I have Gparted so I can do anything to it. Do I create a partition ?
Initialize it and format it ? Or just erase the disk blank and let Volumio do its thing ?
Again, thank you very much, Alex

The only thing I know is using berryboot. There is an mage for Volumio. however it will break OTA

Hmmm, are you talking about the Raspberry Pi Imager app that will burn a USB drive with the Volumio image ?? I tried that and it didn’t boot on my Minix.
I tried then balenaEtcher app and that managed to create a bootable USB with Volumio, that actually ran on the Minix. What exactly is OTA (Over-The-Air?)
Thanks, Alex

Well, progress…I booted Volumio from an image created by balenaEtcher…I tried with Rasoberry Pi Imager both on macOS and Win11 but the Minix refused to boot from there. So I have now an image on the SSD and it booth from there super fast. I have my music collection on a USB drive, I’d like to copy it to the SSD, I assume it is possible, right ?
Thank you, Alex
p.s. I’m running my machine with a monitor. Volumio doesn’t have a “screen saver” or blanking the screen after some minutes of inactivity ?? That could burn-in delicate screens…I understand when is playing to display album cover, but when it is not playing ?? I don’t plan to turn off the Volumio during night !

I was ready to play a victory march…but I hit a snag. Everything looked fine, Volumio found my music on the USB drive, created its database. Connected with the app running on my iPad, found the Volumio machine connected to it and started to download (I assume the database)…and the top green line advances until about 99% and then gets stuck…the little circle with the rotating green line, keeps on rotating forever…and my music is not that big about 1300 CD AND my wi-fi is very fast anywhere between 300 Mb-400 Mb…so it is obvious an issue. I rebooted, same thing…any thoughts ??

Thanks, Alex
p.s. waited about one hour.

When indexing gets stuck, it is caused by tag issues in most cases.
Please supply a log link, this explains how to produce a log

No, Berryboot is some kind of bootmanager for the rPi.
Volumio V3.349 has been ported to run with berryboot.
Yes OTA means Over The Air updates from Volumio will fail.

Guys, I submitted a bug…I hope/assume I entered it correctly, yet I have no answer to it. What shall I do ? I can’t proceed to see if Volumio works fine on my hardware unfortunately until this bug is fixed.
Thank you, Alex