HiFi Streamer : Build thread

I had a head start, studying product design at college many years ago but even then I manage to fuck things up. A lot of this stuff is very much plug and play. Then I ask lots and lots of questions and there are a lot of helpful people out there. I’m not an electrical engineer but I do know some good ones so that helps! All I’ll say is that you could pretty much do what I’ve done here with a bit of patience and planning!

Nice project. You have inspired me to maybe try my own version.

Did you come across a suitable smaller case in your explorations? I don’t need the “amp” part of your project but like the rest, meaning I could use a smaller case. DIY cases are plentiful I know, but I like your re-using an existing HiFi product case.

ebay_withsled.png
ebay_sidebyside.png
If you like the “old skool” style there are some shoe box size cases made from extruded aluminium with a U shaped sleeve that are very high quality. I think the guy selling them has stopped making them but you may pick one up on the http://www.pinkfishmedia.net

IMG-2884.thumb.JPG.d099670dcfa4829a170e67f727ae5b7a.jpg
Or you could look at the new Naim shoebox sizes like the NAP 100 or Stageline and try to pick up one that’s not working?

Done and sounding very very good! A enormous thanks to Oriol at http://www.osaelectronics.com who supplied the PSU and sorted out the Naim LED. It needs taming but hey the brighter it is obviously the better the hardware :laughing:

IMG_20190904_162706.jpg

1 Like

Hi,
I see that you have 2 inputs or outputs rca, one that goes in digi one hat and other that goes in hypex? Could you please explain me a little bit, I do not understand this…
Thanks…

One is an analogue output from the Rpi, the other is a pre amp input to the Hypex power amp that I housed inside the case.

1 Like

Many thanks for your fast response.
Very nice and looking streamer…

Hello,
So you have another amplifier to use with rpi output from digi one and what device do you use for premp input to hypex power amp?
Thanks,

If you are still tinkering, worth a look at the es9038q2m based rpi dac hats available on eBay. About £40, amazing value and fantastic dac. Remote, led, volume available for it cheaply. Similar to the Audiophonics and Ian Canada ones at a fraction of the price…