[Hardware and Software Interaction ?] Volumio 3.4xx + Kali reclocker + Piano 2.1 DAC, Dual Stereo output not the same

Hi

A]
For a long time, using Volumio 2.x, i could use the Kali relocker + Piano 2.1 DAC either as dual mono or dual stereo.
When playing dual Stereo, the same signal was sent to 2 different outputs (1 RCA left&right, 1 RCA left&right). Or at least that’s what i was thinking because everything was fine.

B]
At some point, there were issues with the dual mono, dual stereo, etc for some 2.x release, then it started to be solved for some 3.x series.

C]
Once i could use the Dual Stereo again with one of the 3.xxx series, i used the 2 outputs for 2 differents amplifiers.
One was not playing as well as the other and in fact, i noticed that 1 set of output gave very different output level than this other. (i tried this on the same amp, swicthing cables, not touching the volume pot)

D]
Hence today, putting having “Piano 2.1” as a DAC, putting “Dual Stereo”, i am expecting to have the same output level for both set of RCA connections.
But 1 set has a much lower output that the other.
The higher output level is the “SUB Left & Right”

= Do anybody has the same issue ? Am i misunderstanding something in the config?
I feel it might be a software/driver issue, but i don’t really know what to probe.

Have you looked in the alsamixer to see if all outputs are set to the same volume level?

two friends of mine also has this combination, but it is connected to a preamp … left and right do give the same output level, in dual mono and stereo.
has been playing since volumio 3 with no problems.

Hi

Thanks for the quick pointer.
A] I will look at the Alsa mixer (need to sort out the commands)
I haven’t done so because i never player with anything @this level. But now might be the time!
B] The Piano DAC output goes to a preamp.
But same preamp, same volume pot position, sound is much quieter with 1 set of RCA connection, as mentionned.

Have a nice day

1 Like

Hi
Here the Alsa mixer. MM is set to 46 (gain -20db?), others to 100.
I guess MM is for 1 set of RCA connection, the other for the other set.

Thing is, i never touched anything in Volumio / Alsamixer to have different levels on different RCA sets.
Weirdly, it is similar to this post https://community.volumio.com/t/alsamixer-volume/7238
(i am doing interpolation because of the mp3 white noise bug with Piano 2.1)

Is it possible to change the level in the Volumio settings (GUI accessible) or should i make change in some configs files of Volumio/Alsa ?

Have a nice day

I’m going to see that friend tonight and I’ll check how it all looks with him, settings etc etc.

I will message you back.

why not set audio resampling to 32 bit 192 khz, then the white noise is also gone, this is also a solution because of the kali reclocker in combination with piano 2.1.

Your MM setting won’t do anything, MM means muted. Channels with ‘OO’ are open. Unmute by selecting the channel and pressing ‘m’ on your keyboard.

1 Like

Hi.

1. Side discussion: i put the resampling to 32bits & Native to avoid the white noise
  2. Using Alsamixer, i was able to change the settings with Up and Down Arrow, as easy as that.
    System playing, “MM” didn’t appear, i got “Master”. I switch the set of RCA connections “live” and sound volume didn’t change much.
    Good for me.
    Thanks for the help!

just checked the configuration of the piano and Kali on that friend’s set.
the settings are on dual mono and up sampling 32 bit 192 kHz. left and right channel is the same, no problem at all.

also i enabled mclk.

dtoverlay=allo-piano-dac-plus-pcm512x audio,glb_mclk

Schermafbeelding 2023-03-27 om 22.55.22

1 Like

Thanks for the mclk suggestion.
Didn’t knew about it / would have thought it would be automactic…
Googling / searching (https://community.volumio.com/t/kali-master-clock-question/7942/2
seems to indicate i would need to resample to 384khZ or same as the clock. Yet your post indicate it is possible with 192kHz…

I guess that will be for another time when i feel the urgent for fiddling!
Now, i will be just happy reconnecting each amp on each RCA sets and not having to plug/unplug when i listen to different systems

Thanks and have a nice day

thanks i will try this one with that upsampling.