Consume mode (Volumio 3.5)

Hello all,
I’m a newbie to Volumio (and Linux in general…) and I need your help.

Let me explain what I’d like to achieve (nothing too impossible). Let’s suppose there are 100 million songs in the world, and I’ve patiently selected 1000 of them that I’ve stored on my NAS.
I’d like to listen them all… sooner or later…, and so I take them and add them to Volumio’s queue (with the option not to clear the queue on startup).
Now, when I press play, Volumio plays these songs sequentially, typically in alphabetical order, and that’s boring. It was invented the shuffle button for a reason, right?
PS: if I select random play, the first song played is always the first song in the queue; after the first song all other are randomly choosen

However, I’ve read here, in the community, that Volumio doesn’t actually do a true shuffle; instead, it plays songs in a random order… this means the same song could be played three times consecutively, purely by chance.Yes, I know it’s unlikely… but not impossible.
Now, I don’t want to get into discussions about the difference between shuffle and random, what randomness means, or what the human brain perceives as random, or which is the best music shuffle algorithm, how Spotify does it, what is my algorithm, etc. That’s not the point.
I simply want to listen to all 1000 songs in a random sequence. Unfortunately, 1000 songs are more than 72 hours of uninterrupted music, and, if I’m lucky, I have a couple of hours a week to dedicate to music. So, I’d like Volumio not to play some of the songs I’ve already heard in previous sessions when I power it up again.
I’d like to hear different ones each time, until all 1000 have been played, and then maybe start over or add some more.
In the community, I discover that other people have asked the same question in the past, and I find out that there’s a ready to use feature called “consume mode” that essentially removes the last played song from the queue.
This would suit my needs perfectly. The issue is that I can’t find a way to enable this feature anywhere. If I check Volumio’s status, I always see the “consume” setting as “false,” so it does exists. But I haven’t found how to set it to “true”. And, it seems, that this issue is still present from Volumio 2.0…

Can any kind soul help me out to le me try this consume mode?
Thanks in advance

Consume mode was removed from Volumio, because it was to unstable.

Tried to turn on consume via CLI, but it is not working.

You can always raise it as a feature request.

I played with a consume plugin for ages. Got it working but it caused so much trouble with the U.I. that it was consumed by the waste bin!

As a very feasible work around,
Try to run LMS (available as plugin):

Here you can generate dynamic playlist and select un-played songs.