Bluetooth Speaker Plugin

Hello,

This post has been very useful and as of 3/21/18 the scripts for the UI and plugin work great for using volumio as audio out to a BT soundbar. If you start with a clean install and follow the instructions it works well.

One tip that helped me and two questions to the community…

Tip: After a reboot pair the speaker before starting your audio stream each time, otherwise you have to restart the stream. I thought the BT audio was not working because of this. The BT implementation is not like RPi stretch (as of early march 2018) where you can pair a BT speaker, select as default, and trust the BT right from a GUI to launch each time as default.

My question:
I must control the volume from the physical speaker controls not the soft mixer as in raspbian. I can adjust the volume when paring the speaker to a phone, windows and full raspbian but not volumio with the plugin.

How do i set alsa mixer or pulse audio or whatever to control the volume from the volumio interface and how do I trust and auto pair the BT speaker on reboot?

I can not find where in the alsa mixer and its conf files to set this.

I fixed my own problem with this in the link, just plugged it into the 3.5 and I can even pair 2 BT speakers in 2 rooms with it. 4 speakers if I get a splitter and a second module, I just power it (and in the future them) with the USB on the pi3.

Ill just set the volume on each at a comfortable max level then adjust volume with the touch panel or app.

The bluetooth on the pi can’t pair with more than one at a time anyway. Asking to control the bluetooth volume and a bluetooth plugin is not well suited for multiroom audio in the pi’s current state.

amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluet … dpSrc=srch

Hey I was able to get everything installed and working fine with the internet radio. Audio on the pi will play through the audio jack AND the BT headphones, however,

when I try to play Spotify through either of the two plugins, it only plays through the audio jack and not the bluetooth headphones. Its very consistant, when I switch streams, bluetooth plays with radio and not with Spotify.

Any ideas? I saw that Coen had the same issue as well.

Hello everyone! I installed the plugin without problems, but in volumio cant see the images or the disks or the themes … any solution? thanks!!!

Newbie here. Maybe this is helpful for others.
After plugin installation everything looks ok. Speaker Bluetooth was paired at first try. But no sound. Then I executed this command:
sudo journalctl -f
My BT speaker was detected = yes, paired = yes BUT connected = no . It wasn’t conected. (?!)
So I went to Settings -> Plugin -> BT plugin and in the list of paired devices , each one of these have an icon on the right side like the ones used for WiFi connections. Tap on it and… Voila!
You will see that the “eye” icon on the left side of your listed device changes to a “signal strength” alike icon. IMHO, this is not very intuitive. Maybe text buttons instead of the icons used will be more intuitive.
Anyway, many thanks for this excellent work!

hi Guys,

please help me for not going slightly mad…
i installed the plugin… check
put stereobox in discovery mode
volumio sees bluetooth box… check
pressed connected… check
i see bargraph just in front of the bluetooth box name … check
but no sound

now trying the omni 20 and a veho ZB-6 bluetooth headphone

journalctl -f gives me

bluetooth[675]: a2dp-sink profile connect failed for [mac-adress] protocol not available (for both - tried them separated )

bytheway; how do you remove bluetooth devices from the list?

more info:

RPi: RPi3B+
volumio: virgin volumio 2.389 ( 26-03)

bluetooth devices: harman kardon omni 20
VEHO ZB-6
stereobooom 700
fresh rebel rockbox brick

Thanks a lot for this nice plugin. I followed the instructions and managed to stream music quite reliably to my UE Wonderboom Speaker.

However I cannot manage to control volumio via AVRVP. The buttons seem not to have any effect and I cannot see any events in the systemlog.
I can see the AVRCP initialization in the beginning but nothing after that.

Is there a way to debug the AVRCP somehow? To check whether my speaker actually sends commands…

System:
Volumio 2.389 on Raspberry Pi Zero with Hifiberry DAC+
UE Wonderboom

Hi! Thanks for this plugin. I’ve tried the whole afternoon to get this plugin working.

My hardware:
Raspberry 3b+ with Volumio 2.389
JBL Xtreme

I get the Bluetooth Speaker to connect to the raspberry, in journalctl it also looks this way.

May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: info: {
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "mac": "B8:D5:0B:D2:BD:41",
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "name": "JBL Xtreme",
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "signal": 61,
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "paired": "no",
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "trusted": "yes",
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "icon": "audio-card",
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "class": "0x240414",
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "blocked": "no",
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "connected": "yes",
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: "trycount": 1
May 16 11:45:28 poolparty volumio[4125]: }

but sudo systemctl status bluezalsa.service:

[code]volumio@poolparty:~$ sudo systemctl status bluezalsa.service
● bluezalsa.service - BluezAlsa proxy
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluezalsa.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-05-16 11:36:27 UTC; 13min ago
Process: 867 ExecStart=/usr/bin/bluealsa --disable-hfp (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 867 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 16 11:36:27 poolparty systemd[1]: Starting BluezAlsa proxy…
May 16 11:36:27 poolparty systemd[1]: Started BluezAlsa proxy.
May 16 11:36:27 poolparty systemd[1]: bluezalsa.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 16 11:36:27 poolparty systemd[1]: Unit bluezalsa.service entered failed state.
May 16 11:36:27 poolparty bluealsa[867]: /usr/bin/bluealsa: unrecognized option ‘–disable-hfp’
May 16 11:36:27 poolparty bluealsa[867]: Try ‘/usr/bin/bluealsa --help’ for more information.
[/code]

It appears that the syntax of bluealsa has changed, but I don’t know how to repair this.

One more thing. Once connected to a bluetooth speaker, it seems as if the raspberry can’t reconnect through the plugin. The plugin always says connected even the light on the JBL indicates otherwise.

I would really appreciate any hint. Thanks!

I’ve found a solution and now my speaker is finally working.

As mentioned in moodeaudio.org/forum/archive/ind … -48-2.html der is a problem in blue-alsa… I downgraded blue-alsa to v1.2.0 by changing the install.sh file of this plugin to

git clone -b v1.2.0 --single-branch https://github.com/Arkq/bluez-alsa.git

now blue alsa service starts fine an my speaker talks to me

perhaps this is helping someone

like a few people i got an error like “/usr/bin/bluealsa: unrecognized option ‘–disable-hfp’”.

I just changed the startup…

sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/bluezalsa.service

and deleted the parameter “–disable-hfp” from the “ExecStart” line.

i have absolutely no clue what i’m doing, but the service now starts without errors when booting and plays through my bt headphones :unamused:

This did the trick for me! Thank you.

Greetings Geeks-r-us

May I ask if you can point me to how I can build a udev.node for my newish Volumio?
I see arm and node-v46 variants in the plugin package but not for v48.
Thanks!

info: Loading plugin “bluetooth_controller”…
module.js:471
throw err;
^
Error: Cannot find module ‘/data/plugins/audio_interface/bluetooth_controller/node_modules/udev/build/node-v48-linux-ia32/udev.node’

UPDATE: I ended up creating a few sym links and recompiling the proper udev.node.

Referring to my thread, what i’ve found out:
This plugin is NOT working with the newest version of volumio. I get this error message, So i tried version 2.295 (i don’t know if some version between those also works, but 2.295 do the trick).
Well, now i can install the bluetooth speaker plugin and my bluetooth speaker (jbl flip 4) is shown: https://imgur.com/a/4jelO6L

I pressed connect, my speaker made this typical “ok, there is a new device connected”-sound and the button “connect” changes to “disconnect”. Fine. I tried to play some music. Still. No. Sound.

Maybe someone known a step by step guide only with terminal over ssh? bluetoothctl seems also to have some problems. Didn’t imagine, it would be that hard to connect some bluetooth speaker to my RPI.

the question is; is this project still maintained? is “geeks-r-us” still alive and kicking! or is there anyone else who can/will help developing this great feature. i consider myself still a linux noob but if there is something i can do (to help this project). please ask

Hi, does this plugin work in a way you can combine digtal output (as i have currently) and to a bluethooth speaker? If so this would be great since i can listen in the garden as well in the main room.

regards
eelco

After it plugin work fine?

Please write step by step that u do.

Bump, does this work based on the instructions in the first post or no?

Hello i installed this plugin so far soo good but when i press the button to turn the plugin on it says “bluetooth_controller Plugin
This plugin is failing to start. Please install updated version, or contact plugin developer” in a red box. when i press settings it says prntscr.com/kja5gc . Thanks!

I am also getting that error on Volumio installed on a rPi Zero W.

I guess bluetooth_controller failing to start because node.js version in Volumio is version 5.7.0 but the plugin is designed for node.js version 4.8.0