Allo DigiOne: No sound after cable change or amp switch

I am using volumio 2.246 and an iFi power supply.

Ifi PSU is fine however Volumio 2.246 is buggy

Please read here :

246-airplay-disconnect-speaker-buzzes-t7512.html
volumio-246-hifiberry-dac-alsa-error-sound-t7293.html
after-upgrading-246-sound-through-i2s-hifiberry-dac-t7376.html and more…

Please upgrade to latest Volumio.

Hello Wietesche ,

You are doing the same thing with the hot iron , you are introducing a lot of noise in the mains especially in the same power supply. Generally speaking not a good idea to use noisy items next to sensitive audio devices.

That being said , we always take care of our customers . I asked the team to prepare a DigiOne that is immune to any ground issues but needs an extra PSU.

Will that be fine for you ?

Hi Charles

after upgrading to latest Volumio please update if the issue was fixed.

I’m running the latest version of Volumio and the problem persists. I think it really has to do something with the grounding. I’m not changing or disconnecting the coax cable. After I switch DAC (Audio-GD DAC 19) off and on again, the sound output is frozen, no sound out. I have to restart RPi to fix it. The same behavior when changing RCA interconnects between DAC and AMP and accidentally touching the AMP case with hot (+) Cinch end. Before DigiOne installation, RPi was connected to DAC via USB and there was no such problem.

Hello

anyone that has problem with the grounding on the Digione , please send an email at ruby @ allo dot com with your order number.

We will send you a version of the DigiOne that its immune to any problems on the ground . We will try to post a doc tomorrow with multiple DIY ways to solve the problems and we will also allow exchanges for versions (made by us) that are immune .

Please note that jitter will increase to 0.9ps (with immune systems) but thats beyond normal hearing .

Update. We measured again and we see same jitter (0.4ps) .

Hi Allo,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I agree with you about the noise introduced. But this is the exact thing why the DigiOne exists for, to remove that noise.

I think your proposal will be great if it will remove the problem without sacrificing the audio quality. If I need an aditional power supply, will a Allo 3A supply work fine, or do we now need to get a super clean power supply? I am expecting DigiOne to still remove this additional power supply noise as well. Please confirm.

To get a factory modified board will be better, I do not wish to tamper with the original DigiOne myself. I would appreciate that a lot, thanks.

Could you please elaborate on the reccomended power setup? My house uses the same mains power for everything, with individual circuit breakers for different areas. There is no real isolation if I plug in something in another room if on the same mains circuit, I am still expecting the same result and introduced noise in such a situation. It is not really practical to remove other noisy devices, like TVs, PCs, AVR, lights, powered sub etc from the same circuit. Can you give us practical advice on what the reccomended way is to connect and manage power to the audio gear in such a setup, or a normal living room arrangement, that would solve the noise issues?

Just to be clear, this is the only issue that buggs me, sound quality is still very good when it works. I got your Boss DAC this week to test and review and see if it produce the same qualities.

As always, thanks for your engagement Allo.

Kind regards,
W

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks will send an email ASAP.

[/quote]
Hi Allo,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I agree with you about the noise introduced. But this is the exact thing why the DigiOne exists for, to remove that noise.

I think your proposal will be great if it will remove the problem without sacrificing the audio quality. If I need an aditional power supply, will a Allo 3A supply work fine, or do we now need to get a super clean power supply? I am expecting DigiOne to still remove this additional power supply noise as well. Please confirm.

Could you please elaborate on the reccomended power setup?

Just to be clear, this is the only issue that buggs me, sound quality is still very good when it works. I got your Boss DAC this week to test and review and see if it produce the same qualities.

As always, thanks for your engagement Allo.

Kind regards,
W

[/quote]
Hi,

Team should have some docs today about the 2 solutions .

1. Removal (bypass) of a choke (dirty side) . In this case DigiOne will work using the DC/DC convertor on board already. . Quality of audio will be exactly the same
  2. Removal of DC/DC convertor . In this case , you will need a 5V psu that will feed your “clean side” . Of course a better PSU will have better sound quality , but keep in mind that we have lots of LDOs and PI filters to clean the power entering . 5V /100ma is enough

So yes most PSUs have the same characteristics (noise/rippple) as our DC/DC convertor. In fact some PSUs will have even lower noise/rippple than a small DC/DC isolated convertors. (like the one we are using , the big black rectangular on the side of the PCB)

We want our customers to have the best experience with allo products so if you have this particular problem please contact ruby at allo com and we will arrange for a shipment with one of the 2 options. We recommend option 1

Docs coming up tomorrow.

Thanks for the generous offer, in my use case the grounding problem is not a major issue. Just to make sure that the problem is fully addressed: I can consistently reproduce the problem also by unmounting a connected USB drive and then disconnecting the drive. After physically disconnecting the drive, the problem appears. Thus, this is not only a problem of the SPDIF connection. Best, nbpf

Thanks, I have listened through the DigiOne for about three weeks before comparing it to the Hiface Evo (1). After that, I listened one more week to the Hiface Evo and then I made another comparison. As I wrote, I think that the DigiOne is an excellent device but, compared to the Hiface Evo, the violins and, more generally, high pitch instruments sound a little bit more aggressive and unnatural to me. The presentation is engaging but also a little bit fatiguing. The presentation of the Hiface Evo is a bit more fluid and less tiring. Of course, it is perfectly possible that other listeners would have a different perception or that what I’m hearing are differences of the underlying computing platforms. I plan to demo a Mutec MC+ USB as a replacement for the Hiface Evo in a few weeks. I will test it both as a USB to SPDIF converter + re-clocker and, attached to the DigiOne, as a re-clocker and report my findings. Best, nbpf

Thanks for the generous offer but, for the way I plan to use the DigiOne, the issue is not a big problem. Just to make sure that the fix is going to cover all use-cases, I would like to point out that the problem is not specific of the SPDIF output. It can be reproduced (on Raspbian stretch) by unmounting a mounted USB drive and then detaching that drive physically. At this point, the issue occurs. I have not checked whether this also occurs when a USB drive is inserted but I guess so. Best, nbpf

Instructions attached.
00001.jpg
00002.jpg

I just want to give my input to this.
I’ve been growing grey hair while I on one hand have been enjoying the much better sound quality the DigiOne have given me, but on the other hand it have caused a lot of stress when it randomly haven’t been working.

The first DigiOne board I bought I connected to an existing pi3. I had severe problems with music stopping after a random timeframe. It almost stopped working every time I turned off the DAC. I tried changing almost everything without 100% success. It actually worked more reliable(for some reason I never understood) with Moodeaudio and its advanced RT kernel, but it still crashed from time to time.

I then bought the DigiOne Player assembled, as I figured something was wrong with my setup, no one else had reported the same problems as I. For some reason this new one ran almost without problems. It was less sensitive apparently, and after I had it running for 2 weeks I contacted Allo, because I then realized that the first DigiOne was faulty. They replaced the first one I bought without them even raising an eyebrow.

I now have 2 players running on different locations. One (the newest replaced one - located at my work - I have no issues at all - playing non stop - no crashes - but connected to same circuit as my work computer and no light or switches)

The second one is the assembled DigiOne player I bought some 1½ month ago - works like a charm - but flicking the light switch on either of the 2 bulbs that are connected at the same circuit sometimes trigger a very short break in the music (like 0,1-0,3 of a second), and in very rare circumstances it crashes the DigiOne(happened like 1 time I think). I can thou trigger the crash by flicking the light switch on/off like 10+ times quickly in a row (which is unusual behavior - I know).

I followed the instructions posted above for removing the choke. It have only been running for a short time now - but I cant trigger the crash anymore by flicking the light switch on/off.

I want to shoutout to the Allo team - they are really helpful, and have made some great products. I’ve experienced a significant increase in quality compared to USB on my DAC.

Regards

I experience this same issue. When I switch on my amplifier, the Pi an DigiOne crashes 70% of the time. I was wandering if somebody was able to resolve this by putting the RPI and DigiOne in a metal housing? And maybe even better, ground this metal housing.

I love the DigiOne, much better than the HifiBerry, but the crashes are very annoying!

Hi,

you have 2 choices , either to the mods above yourself or you can contact us and we will exchange it for a unit (exchange) that has the mods already done

Hello,

I have received the new allo DigiOne with removed choke. For the last couple of days I had no problems with muting anymore. Seems to work now!
Thanks allo for the great customer service and your efforts to resolve this issue!

Best regards,
Richard

Is this the repair for this problem? I have the problem also. The unit drops out when I turn off my amp and sometimes even when I turn on and off something on the same power strip. Is there a better power supply or do I really need to desolder parts and put in new resistors?

You can contact us for an exchange . We will send you a new one with the removed filter. If you know how to solder you can do it by yourself