Album art from NAS in low resolution

Hi,

So i just started with volimio on a raspberry pi, using the latest version of Volumio OS just to test if volumio is the right for me before trying out the premium.
Install was straight forward, and everything went fine.
My issue is : When i play files from my NAS, the album artwork is downsized or something .
All my files have very descent album art in the tags, and also the cover of the albums are stored in the folder. res. is 1500x1500
I have tried using web downloaded album illustrations enabled and disabled, but give the same result.
I also have tried to rename the album cover extension as “.cover” and “.folder”
But Still the album art is in poor quality.
Some people may think artwork is not important but for me it is.

What am i missing? Because volumio seems promising.

You can read this post for info.

Best regards,
Dvo

are you sure there is no thumbnail in the folder?
try to clear the cache too

1 Like

and you did call the images Folder.jpg or Folder.png?

Yes I did indeed called the image Folder.jpg

2 Likes

I have cleared the cache, but i am not quite sure what you mean by that.
You mean there is a small image in my folder that volumio uses instead of the folder image with large resolution? and where should i find that?

Please got to “Sources” and press “Reset Album art cache”

Check you folder if there is no other image file than “Folder.jpg”

Open the album again, and see if the quality has improved. As I am sure it’s not related to Volumio:

if it is still the same try it with this file. and repeat above steps.

Thanks for this, if the sorting and proper renaming will help, i am willing to do so.
For now i changed one folder in the suggested order, so Artist, Album name, songs.
The album cover is an image i called Folder.jpg
I uploaded the new album to my nas and cleared cache.
Still a poor image. Web album art is turned off because i would like to use my own art.

Thanks for showing this. I followed these steps, and still have no result.
But what I notice in one of your images, is that you have something like album or artist info.
I found out this is a premium feature, this might be the issue of the artwork not showing up properly?

That should not be the case. Volumio will load the album art from the folder paid or unpaid. A paid subscription will only add album/artist info.

What is your hardware, rPi3/rPi4?

Ok , so i realise the issue isn’t volumio os .
I need some things sorted out then i guess. I have been running for two days now from raspberry model 3b, purely for testing

did you try it with the image I give, It’s a lower resolution, to avoid the rPi3 sweatin out

So i changed the image downloaded what you supplied, and also changed the albumart in the id3 tags to this 600x600 just to make sure.
I then cleared cache and reopened the album. no luck.
May i ask, do you also play from a NAS? or from files stored on the pi itsself?
Maybe someting to add, I play the files via mediaserver.
You suspect it might be a hardware problem? i must have a rPi4 laying here

I have no local music attached to my rPi4-8GB.
It’s either from my NAS or Qobuz.

It might be a hardware problem. But need more detail on what is connected to your pi.

• Like USB DAC and ethernet is a culprit, as they use the same bus.
  • WiFi =>. big cover-art and hi-res audio might give issues

it is a rpi3 model b, clean with just volumio os, wired connection ethernet, and the issue as discribed occurs without anything connected. High res audio i assume this is not a problem, when i open a mp3 the same happens.

The goal is to add my iFi zen dac to the usb output, but this is not connected yet

Have you tried resizing the picture to 600x600, see if that is better, then try 900x900 - keep increasing the sizes incrementally until it starts appearing as lowrez

I’ve noticed at times my album art starts off lowrez, then improves over time (maybe up to a minute) which I’ve previously put down to slower network speed due to the network being busy

1 Like

Running out of suggestions. Maybe some one else has a few suggestions

thanks so much for the help. it helps exclude some things. But i have seen it work with you, so again thanks!

Yes i have, 600 and 1200, also 300… that was why i thougt that volumio was down sizing, but that is not the case.

I’ve been playing about with this issue for a while.

What I have found is I had to clear the music queue, then reset the art cache before any new covers would be displayed correctly (only found this out due to putting another version of the cover art in the directory and a refresh reset didn’t change the displayed album art).

Now I have a 2000x2000 picture as the art and looks ok

This is on a spare RasPi3 and playing through the earphones socket, and on WiFi