A first impression with allo isolator

We have tested with many cards from the market. The main problem is that everyone implements i2s termination resistors differently .

So we can guarantee that it works fine with Boss player at 192Khz (or at 384Khz on our slave Kali/Pianos) but some cards have the wrong resistors (too high of a value) on the i2s. While it works on a RPI , the isolator was designed using the oscilloscope and we tweaked the R value until we get a perfect i2s signal.

This i2s signal creates problem if you have the wrong resistors on the card.

@allo What is SPI isolation? I don’t understand this, I have read it in many places.

Is this isolating the RPi GPIO?

Why can you not guarantee it works with Boss player at 384khz? Only at 192?

There is a delay of 8ns crossing the isolation barrier . As such 384Khz files cannot be used while having an isolator

Can the isolator be used on car since the car’s DC voltage when running is around 14v.

And whether any improvement when using isolator on car can be seen since all the ground (-) on car is the same for all source of power (not using the battery pack?

)

I did not find any answer to these questions, is it possible to know what to do to power Kali with isolator?
Many thanks
David

because I had no space to build it in with the raspberry pi, is this my solution to provide the allo isolator with battery power.

I have used the battery of an old Bosch screw drill and built a box for it, including an on and off switch and LED, a digital screen showing the battery perentage, I will also build in it.

I charge with the original charger and it takes about three kwatier to go from empty to completely full and then it is a matter of putting it in the box and the allo iasolator is ready for use.

am also curious how this sounds and which diode is that?

and I also can’t find anywhere what turning SPI on / off of the isolator board really means for the sound, what does it do what is the use of it.

I know this topic is kind of old but, if you guys are so excited about using the battery pack for isolator, then why don’t you just pull the power jumper on Boss, which should effectively isolate power flow between Boss and RPi and then power your Boss with the battery pack? There should be no need for the isolator.

tried all kinds of options, it’s not much but for me it still sounds best with allo boss jumper off and 12 volt battery isolator.
also a fun fact, the 12 volt battery only needs to be charged once a week.

Combine it with a charge controller (cheap ali for $15) and you can set it and forget it :slight_smile:

you mean something like this.

or similar to this one, so you can put all in the single enclosure: